03 October 2014

Support your childs immune system naturally

We don't take Multivitamins or other artificial supplements in our home. I prefer to use foods and other methods to maintain our healthy bodies. And with increasing concern over nasty bugs and such, I thought I would share with you the main ways I support my children's health and immune system's naturally.

 

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR



ACV Improves Intestinal Flora (which is crucial for a strong immune system), cleanses the lymph nodes, and breaks up Mucus in the body. It also contains Antimicrobial properties and helps to balance the body's PH levels. I use this one goo.gl/9cEbfZ

They all have this around twice a week in local organic apple juice. Every day if they have a runny nose or cough.


LOCAL RAW HONEY



Honey has an amazing blend of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, phytonutrients and other health components. The two key beneficial components of truly raw honey are bee pollen and propolis, both have Antibacterial and antiviral properties. Raw honey is known to be a cough suppressant and is Alkaline forming, encouraging an alkaline PH level in the body.

They have this drizzled on breakfast, in a warm drink before bed or as a spread on treats such crackers and scones. It is also our sweetener of choice for any desserts, cakes and so on.

Please note that it must state 'raw' on the jar and should not be given to children below one year of age.


SPICES

 


Turmeric, Cumin, Ginger,cinnamon & Black pepper and many more have specific immune boosting qualities. Add to meals or warm drinks. I even add a sprinkle of cumin into pasta dishes and no one notices. All the children have black pepper to season their meals and regularly have sliced ginger, lemon and honey in warm water during the colder months.



WARM FLUIDS DURING COLD SEASONS



During the winter I only give my children warm water to drink. I actually started this when an older lady in Dubai told me that this is what they do in her native country. After a bit of research I believe it stems from the Ayurvedic practice of warm foods in winter and cold food in summer. But it really resonated with me and I have done it ever since.

 

ANTIBIOTICS AS A LAST RESORT



 This past cold season when my son reported an ear ache at 2am, I used Garlic oil in his ear and it was gone by the morning. I have never had to use Antibiotics for my children, I believe this to be largely due to our lifestyle. Always try a natural remedy first for mild illness as it can take months to rebuild a child's immune system and Gut health after a course of Antibiotics. There are of course times when they are unavoidable. When this happens I would strongly suggest supplementing the child with probiotics, bone broth, Aloe vera juice and apple cider vinegar.


NO PINK STUFF FOR US THANKS!



Calpol/Pamol whatever it is called in your country. This is a liquid paracetamol pain relief medicine used to reduce fever and pain in infants and children.
My eldest had a few doses of the stuff when I didn't know better but none of my other children have ever had it and they have never needed to. A fever is the body's way of fighting infection and studies have shown fever-reducing medications actually suppress the production of antibodies, therefore often increasing the length of infection up to 50% longer (1). Basically let the body do what it is designed to do!!

There are times when medical attention is necessary;

when a baby younger than 3 months has an elevated temperature.

A fever above 102.2°F/39°C in ages 3 months- 3 years old.

A fever above 104.5°F/40.3°C at any age.

Here are some tips in easing fever discomfort from Mommypotamus:

 http://www.mommypotamus.com/natural-remedies-for-a-fever/

and here is a link to Homeopathyplus.com for information on homeopathic remedies;

 http://homeopathyplus.com.au/quick-help-for-childrens-fevers/



LET THEM EAT DIRT


Yes I did remove the leaf :)


Well sort of, what I mean by this is let them get dirty, encourage outdoor play with mud/dirt/plants etc.. Studies suggests early exposure to microbes is essential for normal immune development, and I wholeheartedly agree. My 9 month old is outside everyday, and whilst I don't sit there encouraging her to eat dirt she has certainly ingested her fair share as well as touching grass and leaves and so on.

Here's a fascinating article to support this;

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2013/02/immune-systems-of-healthy-adults-remember-germs-to-which-theyve-never-been-exposed-stanford-study-finds.html


PROBIOTICS




My children have probiotics every day. Our usual sources include;

Organic Greek Yoghurt
Organic Milk Kefir
Raw Milk
Fermented foods

Gut health is directly linked with immune health. Probiotics basically ensure that the beneficial bacteria outweigh the bad, making it harder for bad bacteria to take hold. Supporting this claim is the latest research published in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport which found that New Zealand athletes had about 40% fewer colds and gastrointestinal infections when they took a probiotic compared to when they took a placebo(2). 


RAW BLUE GREEN ALGAE



If you are able to get it, this stuff is amazing. You must source it from a reputable supplier to ensure safety measures have been taken. My children have 1/4 tsp every other day. It is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, considered a mega-superfood due to high concentrations of proteins, essential fats, vitamins, minerals and enzymes which are all easily absorbed by the body due to their raw, unprocessed state. You can feel it working within hour's of consumption. 


And probably the two most important;


 

A HEALTHY DIET


 
 
This looks different to everyone. For us this is minimal grains, no sugar for the majority of the time. Organic/raw dairy, Bone Broth, grass fed meat and lots of fruits and vegetables with plenty of onion and garlic in everything. Food as close to it's natural state as possible is best.

 

AN ACTIVE CHILDHOOD


Children, well all of us really, need to be on our feet for more time than we're sat down. Turn the t.v off and get them outside!!

I hope you found this helpful? Do you have anything to add to this list? Do share, I would love to know!!




Sources

(2)http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/more-proof-probiotics-boost-immunity



2 comments:

  1. Saving this post! I've never heard of Raw Blue Green Algae before. I think I need to get my hands on some! Thank you so much for the inspiration! I've got a few of these things but don't use them. :/ will have to start on my ACV. Can I just say, this is my favorite blog! I don't usually comment, I just read but thought I should make the effort to let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, sorry I've only just seen this! Thanks so much for commenting, that means a lot! Let me know how you've been getting on with the ACV :)

      Delete